It happened

The story goes that Miss Jay and I met on the first day at Nursery and hit it off at once, we ended up attending the same primary and secondary schools. Went to separate universities but always caught up during the holidays, strangely met while on National Service in the same city and ended up living together in her family home. From when I knew my name,Jay has been a constant.From our friendship, our parents and other siblings became friends.We laughed, cried, fought, quarrelled and shared secrets. It was and still is a beautiful relationship.

In 2004, she met this bloke and by March 2005 they were headed for the altar. I was busy as a bumble bee before, during and after the wedding prep. It was a glorious day, with exhausted feet I went back to my parents’ home hoping to get some much needed rest before leaving for the city.Early the following morning. 5:30am, mummy comes to my room “ Moti ,daddy wants you”. Oh no, not one of Daddy’s early morning talks, it means am in trouble! What have I done?

I go into their bedroom, daddy is seated on the bed, mummy takes her position beside him( that means this is deadly serious) “Moti” Sir, “Moti” Sir, “Your friend and sister got married yesterday, not so?” Yes sir. “See here my girl, I beg of you, don’t put yourself under pressure that you are next in line, you must not marry after her, don’t just follow any fool because Jay is now married and I know you two are always following each other. Marriage is not like that, you don’t marry because your friend has married! You marry at God’s appointed time! So go and face your career and serving God as you have always done, at the appointed time, you will marry, It may be this year or next or in the distant future but remember you will marry” what did I say? I will marry Sir. I totally wasn’t expecting that but I was thankful we had that talk because Brethren did not let me rest……..

From the first Sunday after Jay’s wedding, it was a tsunami and avalanche rolled in one!  I was constantly asked “when are we coming for yours? What are you waiting for? Your twin has left you! When are we wearing asoebi (uniform outfits worn at Nigerian weddings),we want to eat your rice (like I run a cafĂ©) you are pursuing career, time waits for no man! Days are passing, you are not getting any younger, what of that brother I saw you talking to? You are being too picky! Those questions and remarks no matter how good intentioned put me under immense pressure. Here was I, hoping the church would be my succour but no, my pressures came from the household of faith! Whenever I couldn’t help it any further, I called my parents and I was certain they would say,” Moti, look unto God (not surprised they named my first child that as they said that phrase to me uncountable times) for His timing is perfect”. If there is one thing I am forever grateful for, it’s the peace I found in the assurances of my parents, it gave me hope, it assured me that nothing was wrong with me( I surely didn’t need deliverance ) and it kept me from church hopping .

Did I marry a year or two or three after Jay? No, but I did marry! Her first daughter was my little bride. She and her husband ran around for mine like I did theirs and Brethren finally got to wear their asoebi and eat my RICE.

Moti 


Moti is  a woman  who loves the Lord and wishes we could live in a world where common sense is truly common!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The things I never told my Mother

Changing my Yes

Put Your best foot forward