Special Nothings

As women, we always want to be relational and love to remember special dates, days, occasions and events. Somehow you will agree with me that most women  rather than men are more akin towards the remembrance of birthdays, special anniversaries and  several milestones  and that in itself is not bad. It is only when we begin to  use those dates as a yardstick for life transforming decisions that trouble becomes imminent.

 Sometimes some single people seem to want to tie one of the most important decisions in their lives to a gamble of special occasions and numbers. Imagine how foolish it  would sound  if a friend  who is  waiting  to have  surgery tells  you that  would like a particular surgeon to carry out the operation based on the fact that that surgeon shared the same birthday with her irrespective of whether or not he had the necessary skill or training. But it is something we see these days, a young lady or let's say a matured single lady is getting ready to be  married and after a bit of conversation, one discovers that the only thing she has in common with the guy is the fact that they share the same birthday, how romantic but sometimes I really want to scream "that's  foolish".

  In those days, it used to be "we are from the same village" and we thought that  was  not too smart  but these days , there is a spiritual angle to it. People are getting married purely because they met at a special annual event at a  Church, especially after a strong prophetic utterance. There have been testimonies about how people met the special one as they returned back to their seat. While I do not doubt the many mysterious workings of God, there is a need to exercise caution as   I have seen people in similar scenario begin to work earnestly to make a relationship start and work so that they could use it more as a testimony.

Trust me, some of the divorced people I know have married their own birthday mate or the day before or after , or they met in a special programme and against all odds went ahead only to end up with the papers of divorce. Yes, he is your birthday mate but babe if  that is all you have in common, then don't substitute birthday mate for soul mate.

 I just remembered another one(almost fell prey to that one but thank God for being surrounded with truth telling people) we do "My next birthday is a Saturday and I have told God I want to be married on that day " and I do know someone who went ahead to get married on that day but today, that home no longer exist. It did not last 3 years and thankfully she is remarried now.

 So if you are seriously considering someone, kindly don't tie it down to some special dates alone. That is what I call "special nothings".

Love to write,
Gracillis



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The things I never told my Mother

Changing my Yes

Put Your best foot forward